The Government Office and the Museum of Occupations in cooperation with the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany will open in Tallinn a display of original section of the Berlin Wall, commemorating the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Original section of the Berlin Wall is presented to the Republic of Estonia by the Senate of Berlin and it will be opened for display on 9 November - the day of the Fall of the Berlin Wall 25 years ago. The piece will be placed next to the Museum of Occupations on the side facing Kaarli avenue. Opening will take place at 12.00.
Both the Berlin Wall and the Baltic Chain represent symbols of the desire for freedom and were events that led up to the fall of the iron curtain. The original section of the Berlin Wall is a reminder of the end of a divided Europe and will be placed next to the Museum of Occupations as a symbol of the triumph over fear, of bravery and civil courage and as a sign of German Estonian friendship.
This specific section was originally located along the border on Leipziger Strasse, on the corner of Stresemannstrasse, at Potsdamer Platz in the district of Berlin Mitte in the centre of Berlin.
There are more than 240 displays of original fragments of the Berlin Wall around the world, e.g. in Brussels, Riga, London, Singapur, Los Angeles, New York, Ottawa and elsewhere.
On 9 November, the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany will also open the exhibition “Dictatorship and Democracy in the Age of Extremes” in the Museum of Occupations, which will remain on display until 2 February 2015.
Kristiina Tiimus, Government Office of Estonia, phone +372 693 5605, mob +372 53 0304 53, e-mail email@example.com
Miriam Ströbel, Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, phone +372 627 5312, mob +372 58 54 1311, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org