Prime Minister's Office and Reception Rooms

 

The room on the central axis of 1st floor, originally built as a court office, is presently used as the Prime Minister's secretariat. 
 

Four white French neoclassical console tables adorned with gilded carvings give colour to the modern white-and-silver furniture of the Prime Minister's secretary, as well as a yellow settee of the same style.
 
The eastern wing of the 1st floor houses the Prime Minister's office, a recreation room, a representative hall (the so-called Green Hall) and a meeting room (the so-called Blue Hall).

Prime Minister's secretariat. Photos: Artur Sadovski and Government Office

 


Office of the Prime Minister. Photos: Artur Sadovski and Government Office

Office of the Prime Minister 

 

The office of the Prime Minister is furnished with the dark brown furniture from Toompea Castle that has served all of Estonia’s heads of government and which combines both Baroque and Gothic styles. One of the two fireplaces in Stenbock House is also in this office.
 
The Prime Minister’s office is decorated with a painting by Jüri Arrak – Käskude saamine, 2001 (Receiving Commandments, oil, canvas, 230 x 170). The painting was specifically commissioned for this room.

 

 

 

 

Blue Hall

 

The Blue Hall is furnished with Biedermeier style furniture matched up from different suites of furniture. The Blue Hall is where the morning meetings of the Prime Minister’s Office are held and where the Prime Minister meets his foreign delegations.
 
The art on display in the Blue Hall has been chosen from the same era with the furniture:
 
Eugen Gustav Dücker (1841-1916) "Seaside Landscape" 1886
Nikolai Triik (1884-1940) "Pinetrees" 1931
Konrad Mägi (1878-1925) "A Landscape of Vilsandi" 1913-14
Konrad Mägi (1878-1925) "Lilacs" 1917-18
Andrus Johani (1906-1941) "A Landscape of Tartu" 1937
Andrus Johani (1906-1941) "Folk Fest" 1939
Andrus Johani (1906-1941) "A Winter Landscape from Otepää" 1939
 

Blue Hall . Photo: Artur Sadovski

 

Green Hall

Green Hall. Photos: Government Office

A suite of Empire style furniture embellishes this dignified green salon.
 
The Green Hall could also be called the Independence Manifesto Hall, since from 21 February 2013, a plaque on the wall of the Green Hall displays the original copy of Estonia’s Independence Manifesto as well as the original text of the Manifesto, handwritten by Juhan Kukk. Besides the Manifesto itself, portraits of its co-authors Juhan Kukk and Jüri Jaakson are displayed in the Green Hall. The creator of these is Rein Tammik, considered to be the first postmodernist painter in Estonia.
 
Also on display in the Green Hall are "The Gollineger Waterfall near Salzburg", 1851, by August Matthias Hagen (1794-1878) and "A Southern Landscape with Trees and Houses", 1844, by Woldemar Friedrich Krüger (1808-1894), both teachers of the Tartu University Drawing School.

 

Last updated: 30 May 2014