Terras Room

The Secretary of State with the longest tenure in Estonian history is Karl Johannes Terras, who held the position for 20 years, almost the entire pre-war era (1920–1940).

The Room of Terras displays a bust of Karl Johannes Terras by sculptor Ferdi Sannamees.

A room has been named after him on the second floor of Stenbock House, which is used for Cabinet meetings  as well as other consultations.

The author of the interior design is Aiki Kama and the table is made by Estonian company Powerdesk Baltic OÜ

Terrase room: Photo: Government Office

Press Conference Room

The Government's Press Conference Room is located on the ground floor, next to the foyer of the outbuilding.

Press conferences are usually held here at 12 o'clock on Thursdays, after regular Government sessions.

Everybody interested can view the Government press conferences live on the Internet.

The interior design of the room ise made by Tiina Alver, the table is constructed by Estonian company ARS Sisustus OÜ.

Press Conference Room in Stenbock House. Photo: Government Office
Press Conference Room until 2011.Photo: Government Office


Main Entrance and the Foyer

One of the few preserved details in Stenbock House is the stained glass window above the main entrance. It dates from the 19th century.

The hand-made wall panels of the foyer are covered with painted imitation wood grain or graining.

The main entrance. Photo: Artur Sadovski
Hand-made wall panels of the foyer. Photo: Artur Sadovski



Cellars of the main building. Photos: Artur Sadovski and Government Office


Built in the limestone klint of Toompea, the main building’s massive cellars have vaulted ceilings and exceptionally thick walls. 

The limestone walls of the cellar have been laid with care and expertise. It was their purpose to provide the escape-proof detention cells needed for the courthouse. Since the cellars were initially left unfinished as jail cells, the majority of the walls have been preserved to this day in unplastered form.

Restored wooden door lintels from the time of the reconstruction in the 1890s have been preserved in the cellar. Hewn limestone klint previously formed the cellar floor; nowadays, it has been replaced by stone slabs covering a layer of isolation.

Today the cellars accommodate a dining hall, a kitchen and recreational rooms.


Last updated: 01.10.2020